return to Learning Lakota Language
From: "Brian Charging Cloud"
Subject: lakota iyapi
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:48:39 -0700
Mitakuyepi (all my relatives)
Here is e-mail in Lakota
Holidays are here and we will be seeing a lot our relatives: here is
some common kinship terms in Lakota.
1. leksi: (uncle) lek-shee
2. tunwin: (aunt) toon-ween (guttural T) (nasal N)
3. sicesi: (cousin) shee-ch'-e-shee (glottal stop') female to male
cousin Lakota way
4. cepansi (cousin) che-pan-shee (guttural P, nasal N) female to
female cousin Lakota way
5. tanhansi: (cousin) tan-han-shee (guttural T, nasal N) male to
male cousin Lakota way
6. hankasi: (cousin) han-ka-shee (nasal N) male to female cousin
7. toska: (nephew) to-sh-ka (guttural T)
8. tojan: (niece) to-zhan (guttural T, nasal N)
9. takoja: (grandchild) ta-ko-zha (guttural T)
* Si Tanka Wokiksuye, remember them in your prayers..
Anpetu waste yuha po,
Bryan Charging Cloud
Director, Lakota Language Institute