Writing a Thesis Statement
Write a thesis that is neither too broad nor too narrow for each group
of three supporting points.
1. Thesis: _________________________________________
a. My first car was a rebellious-looking one which matched the way I felt and acted as a teenager.
b. My next car reflected my more mature and practical adult self.
c. My latest car seems to tell me that I m aging; it shows my growing concern with comfort and safety.
2. Thesis: _________________________________________
a. Going to a two-year college can save up to $20,000 in tuition.
b. If the college is nearby , there are no costs for room and board.
c. All the course credits that are accumulated can be transferred to a four-year school.
3. Thesis: _________________________________________
a. First, I tried simply avoiding the snacks aisle of the supermarket.
b. Then I started limiting myself to only five units of any given snack.
c. Finally, in desperation, I began keeping the cellophane bags of snacks in a cupboard.
4. Thesis: _________________________________________
a. First of all, I was a typical “type A” personality: anxious, impatient, and hard-driving.
b. I also had a family history of relatives with heart trouble.
c. My unhealthy lifestyle, though, was probably the major factor.
Completing Thesis Statements
Complete the following thesis statements by adding a third supporting point that will match the two already provided.
1. Because I never took college preparatory courses in high
school, I entered college deficient in mathematics, study
skills, and ______________________________________.
2. A good salesperson needs to like people, to be aggressive,
and ________ .
3. Rather than blame myself for failing the course, I blamed the
instructor , my adviser, and even ________.
4. Anyone who buys an old house planning to fix it up should
be prepared to put in a lot of time, hard work, and ________.
5. Our old car eats gas, makes funny noises, and _________.
6. My mother, my boss, and my _________ are three people
who are very important in my life right now.
7. Getting married too young was a mistake because we hadn’t
finished our education, we weren’t ready for children, and
8. Some restaurant patrons seems to leave their honesty, their
cleanliness, and their _________ at home.
9. During my first semester at college, I had to learn how to
manage my time, how to manage my diet, and _________.
10. Three experiences I wish I could forget are the time I fell off
a ladder, the time I tried to fix my parents lawn mower , and _________.